I think my Puppy ate Poison!

 


 D-Con's active ingredient is brodifacoum. This is a super form of warfarin, and will cause death by hemorrhage.
There are no observable signs of warfarin poisoning until the dog begins to pass blood in the stool or urine, bleeds from the nose or develops hemorrhages beneath the gums and skin.
1. If you suspect that the dog swallowed the poison less than two  hours ago you should make it sick. Hydrogen peroxide will do the trick,  so might salt water or mustard dissolved in water. Three percent  hydrogen peroxide (not hair coloring strength peroxide) is quite  effective in making dogs and cats vomit.
You must be sure to use three percent peroxide. Despite the label indicating that hydrogen peroxide is toxic,  it is safe to give to dogs for this purpose. It is considered toxic  since it induces vomiting and therefore does not stay in the body. The  appropriate dose of hydrogen peroxide is one teaspoon per 10 pounds of  body weight given orally.
2. The vitamin K is given in high levels by injection, you will not be able to give enough to be effective orally.
3. A 30 pound dog would need to eat around 2 ounces of d-Con mouse poison to have a serious effect.
4. My advice to you is to have the dog checked at once by your vet,  better safe than sorry. Never take risks in potential poisoning  situations.

Popular posts from this blog

Why not Vaccinate

Customer Feedback